What I’ve been up to over the summer – in 20 photos.
1.Traveled up a winding road to the top of a mountain in Saratoga, California to see Willie Nelson and Kasey Musgraves at The Mountain Winery.
2. Got to the top of the mountain and took in the view. Look at that sun!
3. Gazed into the valley. Thought about my favorite novel, East of Eden.
4. Checked out the amphitheater. Cool, huh?
5. Sat back and relaxed. Date night, beer, great music, no toddler.
6. Watched the sunset and listened to Kasey Musgraves. Wow, she blew me away.
7. Watched the legend himself, Willie Nelson. More beer and “Always on My Mind”.
8. I flew to Florida, where I grew up. Usually the first thing I do when I’m in town is get boiled peanuts. If you are from The South, you know about boiled peanuts. Thinking about family and friends in Florida right now, as Hurricane Irma is blowing across the state as I write.
9. I was in town for my high school reunion. I attended The Douglas Anderson School of the Arts, a visual and performing arts high school. Ya know, just like “Fame”. It has changed a lot since I was there. Now they have a sculpture garden.
10. There it is, my old locker.
11. Did I mention a lot has changed since I attended there? Now they have a full fledged jazz recording studio! I went there the first year it opened. We just had a trailer in the school parking lot for a few music classes. It was really impressive to see how the school has developed over the years and the opportunities students now have to develop their artistic talents.
12. They also now have a fully built out theatre. Did I mention our theatre was the un-air-conditioned gym?
13. Every good arts school should have student sculpture in the library.
14. Also, an incredibly cool wire car sculpture. I wish I knew who did these pieces, as I would give them credit here.
15. Oh yes, the reunion itself! You know when you go to a performing arts high school, there will be “A Chorus Line” style kick line at the party.
16. Finally getting around to cleaning my studio.
17. See, nothing on the floor.
18. Last, but not least, the beach.
19. There is always a time for the beach. We sat and watched the waves.
20. Now the real last, but not least. Always time for a hug.